Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The Groovers Steel Orchestra - Introducing The Groovers



I picked up this 7" on Sunday at the 12 Music Fair here in Dublin. I got a few decent 7"s actually, nice and cheap too which is always go maith, wha... The a-side on this is pretty lame, but the b-side more than makes up for it. It sounds like something Arthur Russell would have been involved with and not bothered releasing. It's basically a steelband orchestra with a piano jamming a really uptempo instrumental disco tune in what sounds like a big hall. Simple. Dunno if it'll really strike much of a chord with you commuters, but I love it! I love the way you can almost see the room they're playing in with all that reverb floating about. I think the drums turned out really well considering you can hear the rest of the orchestra bounce off the walls. If you don't feel this instantly like I did, wait for the hi-hats on the off beat at 0:40 seconds, that should do it!

The Groovers Steel Orchestra - Introducing The Groovers


The wiki article above is the first I've heard of a 'steelband' & it says they originate in Trinidad. A quick google search for the groups name shows an LP of theirs for sale on ebay tagged as 'Afro'. They must be some sort of Afro-Caribbean group methinks, which explains the Latin feel with all the percussion. I'd like to know more about them, but discogs has nout..

Someone over on the bodytonic forum was giving out about vinyl recently. I made the point that one finds stuff on vinyl that simply doesn't exist on wacky placky. This tune is an example of that. I'd be very surprised to find this on a cd somewhere. Surely as a dj / music lover, the possibility alone of finding such a tune is reason enough to buy vinyl? Don't get me wrong, I'm not against cds, I play 'em as well, I just think that there are so many reasons to buy wax - it sounding magnificent is only one of them!

3 comments:

Jonathan Harrison said...

They did the theme to the 1978 Commonwealth Games - "Commonwealth Tempo". Their manager/agent was Martin Lewis.

Anonymous said...

That's interesting Johnathan, when you say Martin Lewis, could you confirm if you mean this one?
http://www.martinlewis.com/media/biography.html
Any help would be appreciated, just trying to work something out.

Jonathan Harrison said...

Yes, Martin Lewis was the publicist of Translantic Records. An article about Commonwealth Disco appeared in Billboard:

http://books.google.com/books?id=ViQEAAAAMBAJ&pg=PT69&dq=%22groovers+steel+orchestra%22&hl=en&ei=mIDXTdnUHcXUgQe76uRX&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=%22groovers%20steel%20orchestra%22&f=false