Sunday, March 24, 2013

Morgan Geist - Unclassics Mix [Italo] / D'Angelo Tribute / Competition for tickets!

I posted about this mix on facebook recently, so, I've made the executive decision to simply copy that status verbatim rather than re-iterate it on here...cool?

There are a handful of DJ mixes that changed my life. One of the most important ones is Unclassics by Morgan Geist (a mixed CD compilation) which came out the year I did my leaving cert. Alex Bradley put me on to Metro Area around this time, who Geist makes up 50% of. Anyway, by around 2005/6 
I was pretty sick of the music I had been hearing in clubs over the past few years. 2 Many DJs, Tiga, all the electroclash stuff. When it came to 'dance music', I knew I liked synthesizers, drum machines, '80s pop / electro & Ed Dmx (the penny still hadn't dropped that it was in fact D.I.S.C.O I was mad into). I also knew I wasn't a fan of most modern production, mainly how 'fat' everything is made to sound. Then I discovered the Unclassics CD and it was EXACTLY what I had been looking for! Genuine electronic boogie funk from the heart! So it got played at every party I went to over the next few years. I'm pretty sure it inspired me to get back into the ol' dj-ing too. It certainly inspired me to start buying these kinds of records, something I'm still passionate about to this day. So there you go, Morgan Geist is a fuckin' legend...check out Unclassics & check him out on the 30th of March at Discotekken. It could change your life! 



//

If you're in Dublin this Saturday, 30/3/13, come along to see Morgan Geist DJ in the Twisted Pepper basement. 

Facebook event.

But wait, there's more! 

On the stage, on the same night as Morgan, we're doing a live tribute to living legend, cooler than cool, smoother than smooth, soul sensation... D'Angelo! 

The ELEVEN musicians involved are..

Keith Fennell (lead vocals)
Georgia Cusack (vocals)
Danny Groenland (vocals)
Karen Cowley (vocals)
Dennis Cassidy (drums)
Sean Maynard Smith (bass)
Paddy Groenland (guitar)
Chris Engel (sax)
Bill Blackmore (trumpet)
Johnny Taylor (keys)

They will perform songs from his classic lp VOODOO.

Now, competition time..

To win TWO TICKETS to this bumper show, simply share this blog post on your personal facebook or twitter page & tag us in the post. We're herehere & here.

If you are unsuccessful, firstly, sorry for you troubles, and secondly, tickets can be bought here

22:30 doors yo! 

xx

No comments: